I have been spending numerous hours of time reading and watching videos to educate myself with making my own home made chemical free products. Almost everything that we consume this day are constituted of toxin including food. It baffles me to no end that how in the name of comfort that we ended up here. The body wash/soap, laundry detergent, beauty products, home cleaning products, bath products, food products and almost everything under the sun are contaminated with harmful chemicals. The realization hit me gradually.
From the day I moved to small home – I started questioning about accrued material possessions, and ever since, I have been very conscious of my purchases and It has drastically brought down my shopping habits. That led me to plastic-free phase- I got rid of 80% of my plastic utensils at home, I still need to let go of teflon coated dishes, oh and please let me know if you better suggestions. I still use lot of plastic in day-to-day life, it is slow but I am trying to be conscious and this requires bit of planning. Most of my plastic waste comes from impromptu-grocery-shopping and take-out food. It then led me to composting food to produce less waste – and now I am trying to go as much natural as possible.
In that attempt, I have created my very own body lotion out of all natural ingredients and feel proud of it. I have been using it for a week, I must say it has been great so far. Very moisturizing and I kind of got used to the smell. My next step is currently scattered in all different directions. Few areas I am trying to tackle head on with natural ingredients.
- Bath room cleaning products
- Beauty products – includes deodorant, eyeliner, mascara, foundation cream, blush and make up powder.
- Cleaning dishes – I still have not figured out this one yet and not sure if I ever will (one suggestion that I found which I am very concerned that it might clog the drain – in the past my grand parents used to wash their dishes with ash produced when cooking with woods, scrub was coconut coir/fiber – it is the exact same suggestion that i found online) – rest of them were mostly borax/baking soda and castile soap related – isn’t there any other better way to do this?
- All purpose cleaner for kitchen related and floor cleaning.
- Laundry detergent
- The most important – tooth paste, body wash, face wash, hand wash and hair wash.
- Food – now this hard being in east coast. Farmers markets are done for the season. But, the conscious effort to eat meals completely prepared by not using processed seems to be in right direction. Almost there, but life is not easy!
You may think, why not buy eco-friendly natural products – a. They are way too expensive, b. Since, natural ingredients usually has less shelf life, it requires me to buy it more often. c. Fresh is always better. d. I feel great.
Anyone out there, who are currently doing their own products? If so, I would love to hear your suggestions. It definitely seems like a lot of effort, but definitely worth it for our own sanity to protect our-self from being exposed to such harsh chemicals.
And you dear readers, please make conscious effort and decline chemicals in your day to day life. Not only will it harm you, but the environment is getting damaged. During this process of education myself, I read some where that they schools from primary education are offering environmental classes. I could not be happier. But, how about us? why do not they consider, that they have discounted-work-shops for environmental awareness by government in respective communities to education people like us? I take that back – they would not – for simple reason, how can they make business – it is all one big political-business-survival drama!
The onus is on us to do what ever we can to protect ourselves as much as we could. What do you think?