This is another dish commonly prepared in northern part of india. I was browsing through some spinach recipes as I always make only spinach dal and wanted to try something different. I found recipe of palak chana and modified to suit what I have in kitchen. I loved it and it wasn’t that difficult to make as much as I thought it might be. Here is recipe for you and my future self
3 cups of fresh spinach (pureed in food processor)
1/2 cup of fresh cilantro leaves (pureed along with fresh spinach)
2 medium tomatoes – pureed separately
5 green chillies or depending on your spice level
1/2 spoon ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
Salt to taste
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 onion – finely chopped
1 can of garbanzo chick peas
pinch of garam masala
pinch of turmeric powder
1 tbsp of garlic ginder paste
2 tbsp of oil or less
1. On the stove pan, pour the oil, once it heats up, add cumin and coriander seeds. Once they splutter, add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste and wait until it become translucent color.
2. Add tomatoe puree, ground cumin & coriander, garam masala, turmeric and let it cook for 5 minutes on medium high.
3. Once cooked, add spinach-cilantro puree to the rest of it on the pan and add water (1/2 cup) if required for consistency you prefer. Add salt and let it cook for about 10 minutes
4. wash and drain canned chick peas, mash some of it and add it to the puree.. let it simmer for about 5 more minutes and turn off the stove.
5. Tadaaaa.. it’s ready to serve.. goes really well with chapathi’s or bread!
I loved it, and i sprinkled lemon juice before I ate and it was delicious. More over.. it is an healthy dish, more protein and iron.
Try it and let me know what you think.